Answer Key

This board is for Herodotus, which is about argumentative writing.

Answer Key

Postby ccinIdaho » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:46 pm

I am nearly finished with Herodotus but not quite. We are on Lesson 5.22, page 446 (enthymemes), and I noticed the answer key has left all the answers for this. I am finding it difficult to do the assignment and have nothing to offer my children! Would you please provide some answers for the assignment? Thank you.
ccinIdaho

Re: Answer Key

Postby admin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:13 am

The answer key is left out because it is somewhat random what enthymemes you and your students choose from the text. You need to look for arguments in the text where a clause is suppressed. That means arguments that assume some agreement with the listener so that the full logical syllogism is not fully expressed.
admin
Site Admin

Postby ccinIdaho » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:44 pm

Well, I can't figure out how to do it. I would think that an answer key would provide guidance. There are only going to be so many in the model, after all!
ccinIdaho

Postby Carolyn » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:49 pm

We intended the lesson to provide guidance in identifying enthymemes, rather than the answer key. From the first example on p. 422, you can see that an enthymeme has at least a declaration, and a conclusion that is somewhat of a jump from the declaration. Armed with that information, you can turn back to the model and see "Keep your conscience clear and God will protect you." That can be easily restated as

I am one with a clear conscience.
Therefore. God will protect me.

Lene is unavailable to give a further treatment of this question at the moment, but hopes to do so when time permits.

~ Carolyn
Carolyn

Return to Book V: Herodotus--- Argumentative Writing