working with Theon's Six Components to write a scene

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Homer. CW - Homer teaches writing, analysis, and imitation by working through longer narratives.

working with Theon's Six Components to write a scene

Postby Kathie in VA » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:52 am

Even after doing all of Theon's Six Components, sometimes I get papers that are still very close to the model. So either they have a very good memory, which many of them do have, or they aren't really using the Six Components to write their scene and instead going back to the model to do an imitation.

I was wondering if it would be worth it to have them practice writing one scene by starting it with a different one of the Six Components. That is, if the first scene in the model started with 'person', then re-write the scene by first starting with 'action' and follow through with whichever components seem to work. Then re-write it again but start with 'place' and follow through with whichever components seem to work. Then continue re-writing the scene like this for each of the other Components. Is this something that is already covered somewhere in Homer or elsewhere in the program? Do you think this is a good idea or more confusing then it is worth?
Kathie in VA

Re: working with Theon's Six Components to write a scene

Postby admin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:37 am

Kathie,

It is fine if the papers are pretty close to the original so long as the students took notes and did not copy the original. Memory is common in kids, and they do know things well, and we should not fault them for that.
What you propose, we do not do in the book because people have enough trouble hanging onto Theon's 6 elements without adding something new to it, but if your students are up to it, you can do so.

My bottom line here is that young students do memorize and do often write down what they memorize when they have studied a passage well, and that is OK. It is not plagiarism and it is not a crime.
The goal of these exercises is to identify the components of a scene and to be able to write.

Lene
admin
Site Admin

Return to Book II: Homer --- Narrative Writing