In Media Res

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Homer. CW - Homer teaches writing, analysis, and imitation by working through longer narratives.

In Media Res

Postby Kathie in VA » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm using the Homer Editing Checklist as a grading tool for our co-op's In Media Res papers. I got a few papers with missing scenes. Basically the papers read well and still tell the story so I gather they just omitted accidentals. The directions for this paper do not mention a step where you pick and choose accidentals to keep or omit. I had not considered this an option for this writing project until I looked at the Editing Checklist and it mentions checking to see if the Essentials are included. Since the directions had us going scene by scene making summary sentences and then using them I wasn't sure if they should be dropping scenes for this paper.
Kathie in VA

Re: In Media Res

Postby admin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:22 am

Kathie,

Read through the instructions in the assignment carefully, review with yourself any verbal instructions you gave them, and hold their feet to the fire based on the instructions they were given. .... as well as.... you, as the instructor, know what you are looking for in the paper, you read and can tell if something is missing that ought to be there by the spirit of how you taught it and by what was written in their written instructions. That is what they need to have in their paper.

I know that sounds vague, and I know that you want me to say yes, or no, accidentals ought to be there, or not. But really it depends on what you were looking for. If the instructions did not say 'you must include accidentals', and neither did they say 'you should not include accidentals'. It's the old question of, if it doesn't specifically address accidentals, does that mean that they should be in there, because we didn't say they shouldn't, or does it mean you can omit them because we didn't say that they must be in there. I have no answer other than if I absolutely wanted something included in a lesson I wrote, I would have mentioned it specifically. However, very legalistic students who are minimalists would take liberty with such a position, and so it's not an absolute role.

Lene
admin
Site Admin

Re: In Media Res

Postby Kathie in VA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks

What I ended up doing was to not take off for omitting scenes since, like you said, 1- the narrative still read well and 2- they were taught about them earlier ... and thus it is a skill in their tool box which I didn't say should or should not be used.

However, they were still supposed to maintain the author's emphasis for this paper which is hard to do if you are eliminating scenes. So they lost some points on this issue.

They all still ended up with high grades anyway.

Thanks for the help and support!
Kathie in VA

Return to Book II: Homer --- Narrative Writing