Question about Grammar Notebook Instructions

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Homer. CW - Homer teaches writing, analysis, and imitation by working through longer narratives.

Question about Grammar Notebook Instructions

Postby Lakeside » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:10 pm

I have a question about the instructions on p.15 in the Homer Student Workbook A. In the explanation for the grammar term entries in the grammar notebook, part b. says to give an example of the term used in a sentence. In the example of an entry, however, it gives an example of the term not an example of the term used in a sentence.

I guess my son and I are both wondering if he should be giving an example of the term, using the actual term in a sentence, or using an example of the term in the sentence. Is that clear as mud? :oops:
Thanks for any clarification on this question!
Lakeside

Re: Question about Grammar Notebook Instructions

Postby Carolyn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:55 pm

It borders on being clear as mud! :) Sometimes, specific instructions and questions about them just work that way, though.

The definition of a term ("A sentence is a group of words making complete sense.") is usually going to be a sentence which uses the term, so I would suggest taking the words 'example of the term used in a sentence' to mean 'an example of the term'. If the term is participle, write a sentence with a participle in it.

Does that help?
Carolyn

Postby Lakeside » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Carolyn wrote:It borders on being clear as mud! :) Sometimes, specific instructions and questions about them just work that way, though.

The definition of a term ("A sentence is a group of words making complete sense.") is usually going to be a sentence which uses the term, so I would suggest taking the words 'example of the term used in a sentence' to mean 'an example of the term'. If the term is participle, write a sentence with a participle in it.

Does that help?

Sort of. That makes sense to me for specific grammar terms like participle. But the words to be defined are things like language, spoken language, grammar, English grammar, proposotion, etc. So that's where we are getting muddled.
Lakeside

Postby Carolyn » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Now I understand. For entries which you can't really give an example for, like grammar or spoken language, you can skip the parts that don't apply. You can use your judgement for things like that.
Carolyn

Postby Lakeside » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Thank you for your help, Carolyn! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't somehow missing something in my interpretation of the instructions. :)
Lakeside

Return to Book II: Homer --- Narrative Writing