OB WK10 - parsing The Boston Tea Party

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Homer. CW - Homer teaches writing, analysis, and imitation by working through longer narratives.

OB WK10 - parsing The Boston Tea Party

Postby Kathie in VA » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:25 pm

The last sentence to parse is:

"There were no invitations sent out for the tea-party, ..."

The answer key has the
predicate as 'were sent' and marks it 'transative' and the subject as 'invitations'

This makes sense to me but a few of my students got confused because if 'were sent' is transitive then it should have a DO which they could not find.
So my answer is that this sentence is in the passive voice and the DO is also acting as the subject. Right??
However passive voice is not taught until Diogenese Chreia.... So either I have this all wrong or this was just a poor sentence to choose at this point because of the voice?

[Also it probably should say Simple Predicate not predicate.]

Thanks!
Blessings,
Kathie in VA
Kathie in VA

Re: OB WK10 - parsing The Boston Tea Party

Postby Carolyn » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:40 pm

The sentence is indeed in the passive voice. Only transitive verbs can be passive. Passive verbs can't have a direct object -- the subject is being acted upon by something else.

Since the student isn't asked to identify the voice of the verb, it's appropriate for this exercise. It's an opportunity to teach that not all transitive verbs have a direct objects!
Carolyn

Return to Book II: Homer --- Narrative Writing