Homer in a Month diagramming question

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Homer. CW - Homer teaches writing, analysis, and imitation by working through longer narratives.

Homer in a Month diagramming question

Postby elmstreetschool » Wed May 15, 2013 1:33 pm

We're perplexed as to how to diagram this sentence:

He threw some logs on the fire, which burnt up with a great flame, showing the Greeks, who had fled into the depths of the cave, when they saw the giant.

So, DS easily picked out the clause "He threw some logs on the fire" as the main clause and "which burnt up with a great flame" as a subordinate clause. We can assume that "who had fled into the depths of the cave" as a subordinate clause to "the Greeks" and "when they saw the giant" as an independent one.

But how does "showing the Greeks..." function to the rest of the sentence? It doesn't make sense as an adverbial clause (to describe how he threw the logs on the fire, or how the logs burnt). "Showing" doesn't work like any of the gerunds in diagramming resource and it's not making sense. Maybe I've just been staring at it too long. Any advice?
elmstreetschool

Re: Homer in a Month diagramming question

Postby KathyWeitz » Thu May 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks for this - you found an error in the AK. The participial phrase 'showing the Greeks' should be modifying the noun 'flame'. I have fixed the AK in the Student Guide PDF. In fixing this, I found another error in Week 4, so be sure to use the latest version of the AK when you get there!

Kathy
Kathy Weitz
kathy@classicalwriting.com
www.classicalwritingtutorials.com
KathyWeitz

Return to Book II: Homer --- Narrative Writing