Clarification with prepositional phrases

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Homer. CW - Homer teaches writing, analysis, and imitation by working through longer narratives.

Clarification with prepositional phrases

Postby dovrar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:06 pm

"When at last came Bessanio, and Portia would have delayed him from making his choice from very fear of his choosing wrong."

Dd and I are having trouble imitating the highlighted phrase in the previous sentence because we can't understand how it is being used. From what I see in the core a prepositional phrase can act as an adverb and "modify verbs with extra information about when, where, why, and how." The trouble is that I can't see how "from making his choice" answers any of those questions. It seems to me that the question it would answer is "what"---delayed what.

Help please.

Thanks,
Debbie
dovrar

Re: Clarification with prepositional phrases

Postby admin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:00 am

That is indeed a challenge.

"She delayed his choice" - that's definitely a 'what.' But we have that preposition stuck in there, taking away that option. Of the possibilities for adverbial prepositional phrases, manner and result are both so-so fits. She delayed him in such a manner that he couldn't make his choice, or she delayed him why? so that he couldn't make his choice. You could use either idea for your imitation.

Carolyn
admin
Site Admin

Re: Clarification with prepositional phrases

Postby dovrar » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks so much Carolyn! It's simple, but amazing how much it helps to think of the "how" and "why" options as "manner" and "cause" instead.

Debbie
dovrar

Return to Book II: Homer --- Narrative Writing