Week 16 Paul Revere's Ride

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Homer. CW - Homer teaches writing, analysis, and imitation by working through longer narratives.

Week 16 Paul Revere's Ride

Postby ccinIdaho » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Hello,

For the first diagram, would "him" not be an indirect object but a direct object because they bade "him" to "be quiet" and didn't bade "be quiet" to him? Is "be quiet" an object complement?

Thanks! :)
ccinIdaho

Re: Week 16 Paul Revere's Ride

Postby admin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:52 am

You're right. 'Him' should be a direct object here. 'be quiet' is what DEG calls an 'objective complement'. Fortunately :D the diagram doesn't need to change much. 'Him' moves from its current location to the same line as 'bade', but after the tree the infinitive is sitting on.

Carolyn
admin
Site Admin

Postby ccinIdaho » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:41 am

If "him" is the DO, wouldn't it be before the tree with the object complement? I thought the object complement described the DO and would come after it.
ccinIdaho

Postby admin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:08 pm

That's a fuzzy question. Some diagramming resources (the names of which escape me at the moment) show the object complement before the objective complement, others show them the other way around. In our keys, I've tried to consistently put the object complement (aka direct object) last, with the objective complement tucked between the verb and the object complement.

Carolyn
admin
Site Admin

Return to Book II: Homer --- Narrative Writing