varying types of modifiers

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Homer. CW - Homer teaches writing, analysis, and imitation by working through longer narratives.

varying types of modifiers

Postby Kathie in VA » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Homer core p. 156,
The example in the core changes the adjective word 'crafty' in the model:
Crafty Odysseus eventually outwitted his Trojan opponents.
to an prepositional phrase working as an adjective
Odysseus with his great craftiness eventually outwitted his Trojan opponents.
however is seems like this phrase answers how and thus modifies the verb outwitted ... ??

on that note... Homer OB workbook, wk 20 p. 323
Fearless Paul Revere roused the countryside.
we are having trouble putting Fearless into a prepositional phrase that modifies the subject
each time we try we get a prepositional phrase that seems to answer adverbial questions and modify the verb instead.
Kathie in VA

Re: varying types of modifiers

Postby Carolyn » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:38 pm

When changing the type of modifier, you only need to stay sufficiently close to the original meaning of the sentence -- so if an adjective is most clearly expressed as an adverbial prepositional phrase, that's okay.

Still, an argument could be made that 'with his craftiness' could conceivably modify Odysseus. Consider "The man with a hat waved" and "The man waved with his hat." There, placement makes a difference as to how the phrase is understood. I'm not sure that's it's a good argument, mind you, but I can see the point.

'Fearless' has the same sort of problems. If the variations you've come up with adverbially convey substantially the same meaning, they're fine. And better, no doubt, than the convoluted 'Paul Revere, to whom fear was never attributed as a characteristic by those who knew him or wrote of him...'
Carolyn

Postby Kathie in VA » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:04 pm

that makes sense if your goal is just to vary the modifier. My issue came when the assignment specifically instructed to change from the word acting as an adjective to a prepositional phrase acting as an adjective.

Fearless Paul Revere roused the countryside.

If we try: Without fear Paul Revere roused the countryside. It doesn't work because the prep phrase is acting as an adverb.. not the goal of the assignment. ... or did I get the directions wrong? "Rewrite the following sentence to use the italicized adjective as each of the other types of modifiers" So I thought we needed to write each of the other types of modifiers as adjectives. The next assignment is similar but focuses on adverbs. OB wkbk p. 323 There is no answer key for this one ... what might be a correct answer?
Kathie in VA

Postby Carolyn » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm not seeing that the assignment says the prepositional phrase needs to be functioning as any particular part of speech -- page 323 of the Older Beginners' Student workbook, right? One answer for this would be 'Paul Revere roused the countryside with characteristic fearlessness.'
Carolyn

Postby Kathie in VA » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:27 am

Okay so we did misunderstand the directions. This makes more sense.
Since the subject was already a proper noun it was very hard to modify it with a prepositional phrase. However, I realized that if we changed the proper noun to a common noun, then we could use a prepositional phrase to act as an adjective modifying it.
Fearless Paul Revere roused the country side.
The fearless man roused the countryside.
The man without fear roused the country side. <now it can clarify the noun and not tell how the 'rousing' was done>

thanks for the help.
Blessings,
Kathie
Kathie in VA

Return to Book II: Homer --- Narrative Writing