Students going into 11th and 12th grade

This board is an FAQ BOARD for you to place your student in our writing series. It is a READ ONLY board. If you have any questions, please post them on the board below this one: "IF YOU'RE THINKING...."

Students going into 11th and 12th grade

Postby admin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:58 am

For a student who is going into 11th grade, who has had a solid writing education thus far, I'd recommend the following:

1. CW Diogenes - Maxim as a foundation for essay writing

2. Non-CW materials, since our materials will not be out fast enough to see you through to the end.

Take the student through Format Writing (with the Great Books as the topics in mind) and through a book you can get at Amazon called "The Art of Styling Sentences" which helps learn sentence patterns and imitaiton.

I'd also recommend that you get Dr Einarsson's Grammar Hand Outs, which I think he sells on-line for around$10 or 15. That workbook along with the other things I suggested would get your student running in writing, both at the paragraph writing level but also at the sentnece writing level. working with structures in Great Books.... and taking excerpts from the Great Books to work on it.

Here is Einarsson's web page for that workbook if you're interested:

http://www.classiclanguagearts.net/workbook.htm

Finally, I would warmly recommend Classical Writing Poetry for Beginners and Intermediate Poetry with Workbooks and Instructor's Guides , whcih is for all ages but more so for older students. There is much in the study of poetry that helps a high school student master language.
admin
Site Admin

Return to FAQ: HOW TO PLACE YOUR STUDENT IN THE CW-SERIES