Grading rubric for Older beginners writing projects...

This is a board for specific questions regarding Classical Writing for those who have not purchased any books in our series yet.

Grading rubric for Older beginners writing projects...

Postby Irishmommy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:06 am

Is there anything like this, so I can evaluate and give my son a grade?
Irishmommy

Re: Grading rubric for Older beginners writing projects...

Postby admin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:02 pm

Writing rubrics are writing rubrics.

Here is a link

http://wvde.state.wv.us/teach21/writingrubrics/

For each task that you are teaching in a particular writing project, you would adjust the rubric to reflect whether the student adequately used that rubric.

That being said, the reason we do not have these rubrics in the books is because we are not great fans of rubrics, but more so fans of a personal evaluation of the skill of the student, something which cannot always be assessed with a number scheme.

Lene Jaqua
admin
Site Admin

Postby Irishmommy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Thank you for responding. I looked at the old board and found the answer to my question. I used the "checklist" that you suggested and made my own rubric from that. I had my son evaluate himself, and he gave himself almost the exact same scores in each area that I would have given him. I used rubrics a lot when I taught in public school, but ones that looked more like your "checklist" and less like the ones you linked. Most students felt the ones that resembled the linked ones were too vague. My kids wanted specifics. I would include in the rubric the concepts that we had been emphasizing in class and other specifics to the assignment.
Irishmommy

Postby Irishmommy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:06 pm

So, I wasn't sure if anyone had already done something similar that I could use, without creating my own; but I can just do it on my own. Probably better to tailor my rubric to the needs of my son anyway. Thanks!
Irishmommy

Postby Kathie in VA » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:10 am

I'm right there with you. I plan to use the 'Homer Editing Checklist' as the main means of evaluating my student's papers. I even told them to edit their own papers against it since that is what I will use once they turn it in to me. Of course, as we progress through the book the checklist will be adjusted to include all their newer skills. That's why I like the idea of using them, they are tailor made. Now, off to work out some sort of grading . . .
Good luck to you!
Kathie in VA

Return to IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING CLASSICAL WRITING....