Help with placing current 6th grader

This is a board for specific questions regarding Classical Writing for those who have not purchased any books in our series yet.

Help with placing current 6th grader

Postby Lakeside » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:37 pm

I am having trouble figuring out where to place my current 6th grader. It seems like Aesop B or Homer A is recommended for an entering 6th grader and Aesop/Homer for Older Beginners is recommend for entering 7th graders, but we're caught right between them and I would like to start after the new year.

Does Homer A/B just have more practice than AH for OB? Or are more topics covered as well? Could one add extra practice to A/H OB to have it not progress so quickly?

I guess I'm wondering how four years of instruction are condensed into one. Does OB cover all the same topics as Aesop A/B and Homer A/B, just with fewer opportunities to practice each topic? Could one add extra practice to fill it out?

If we were to just start in Homer, would we be missing any skills by skipping Aesop B? (I believe I read somewhere that outlining is covered in Aesop, so that made me think we might miss something important by skipping it.

Thank you so much for any thoughts on where to begin!
Lakeside

Re: Help with placing current 6th grader

Postby admin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 am

Yes, Homer A and B have a lot more practice than older beginners.

Older beginners does 3 weeks of the Aesop stuff and then it moves onto Homer. It is for the student who is comfortable but just needs to learn the topics that he does not know real quickly.

I would never put a 6th grader in older beginners. It is for high schoolers who really need to catch up quickly. 6th graders have plenty of time and would do better letting things sink in more slowly.

If I were you, I would start in Aesop B, move through quicker, like skip review, make sure your student is comfortable, and then go into Homer A.

Lene Jaqua
admin
Site Admin

Postby Lakeside » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Thank you! That is very helpful. Now if I had only figured this out before Lulu's sale ended! ;)
Lakeside

Postby admin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:09 pm

They've got another one going already. You may still be in luck!
admin
Site Admin

Return to IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING CLASSICAL WRITING....