Harvey's vs Rod & Staff

This is a board for specific questions regarding Classical Writing for those who have not purchased any books in our series yet.

Harvey's vs Rod & Staff

Postby Deborah » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:59 am

I'm new on your board. I submitted a message, but it didn't get posted. Hope this one works. I would like to start my 12-year-old granddaughter with CW for Older Beginners, and you recommend Harvey's grammar as it correlates with CW. She has completed Rod & Staff 5 and scored well -- high 90s -- on all their tests. Would she be able move into Harvey's smoothly (I'm not familiar with Harvey's at all), or would it be better to stick with R&S?

Also, I would like to start her with Traditional Logic I, but since we're behind in R&S and math -- although she does quite well on both, she should have already completed Level 6 and Saxon 5/6 for her age level -- would it be advisable to put this off?
Deborah

Re: Harvey's vs Rod & Staff

Postby KathyWeitz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Dear Deborah,

I am sorry it's taken so long to answer your question. Summer vacation schedules and deadlines are upon us!

I do think your granddaughter will do well with Harvey's. My sixth grade son went from R&S 5 to Harvey's, and had no trouble. R&S will give her a nice foundation for the more challenging and complete grammar in Harvey's. Since you are not familiar with Harvey's, I would suggest that you consider our accompanying workbooks and answer keys to make your transition easier.

We typically recommend doing Traditional Logic along with Herodotus. You certainly could do it before you get to Herodotus, when your granddaughter is ready, but I would recommend getting a year of Harvey's under her belt first.

I hope this is helpful!

Kathy
Kathy Weitz
kathy@classicalwriting.com
www.classicalwritingtutorials.com
KathyWeitz

Re: Harvey's vs Rod & Staff

Postby Deborah » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Thank you so much. Yes, this was very helpful. It validates my thoughts on Harvey's; and with all these changes, I think we'll wait on Logic I. Thanks again.
Deborah

Return to IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING CLASSICAL WRITING....