Placement

This is a board for specific questions regarding Classical Writing for those who have not purchased any books in our series yet.

Placement

Postby mcgarrison » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:45 am

I'm trying to determine where to start my son in Classical Writing. He is beginning 9th grade next year and has completed IEW through the High School course (Continuation Course C). He no longer fears writing but needs help in developing better sentences and cohesiveness. So should I do the Aesop and Homer in a month with him and then move on the Diogenes?

He's had also completed Thinking Toolbox, Art of Argument and Introductory Logic (Mars Hill). He has dyslexia so writing has been a struggle for him but he has come a long way.

Also I have a rising 7th grader who has completed through IEW Continuation Course B (the middle school curriculum). Writing comes much more naturally to him.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Marivi Garrison
mcgarrison

Re: Placement

Postby admin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:03 pm

If his grammar is not strong, I would spend a semester on Aesop/Homer and then move into Diogenes for the rest of the year. Grammar is the foundation of strong sentences and a strong sense of the words to use, and Homer spends a long time on those things.

Your 7th grader I would run through Aesop/Homer for Older Beginners.

Lene
admin
Site Admin

Return to IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING CLASSICAL WRITING....