where to place them??

This is a board for specific questions regarding Classical Writing for those who have not purchased any books in our series yet.

where to place them??

Postby villin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:05 pm

8th and 10th grade next school year. At the moment we are using LLATL but am loving CW the more I read about it. Where will I place them? Also i have a soon to be 3rd grader.
villin

Re: where to place them??

Postby KathyWeitz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:47 pm

I would need a bit more information to give you an accurate placement, but here are a few guidelines.

If your students have experience with retelling narrative and a fairly firm grammar foundation, I would probably try to put them in Maxim together, and then try to finish both Maxim & Chreia next year. If they haven't worked much with narrative, I'd probably try to start with Aesop & Homer for Older Beginners.

You might be interested in the teacher training course I offer at www.classicalwritingtutorials.com

Let me know if you need more help.
Kathy Weitz
kathy@classicalwriting.com
www.classicalwritingtutorials.com
KathyWeitz

Postby villi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:55 pm

All 3 boys are well familiar with narrations (3rd grader is very detail that at times i just record him), but the 1oth grader is my reluctant one. His grammar is not as strong and when it come to diagramming I must say is not his cup of tea, but this past year we use winston grammar (color code) and it work 4 him. Based on that you still think I should use Maxim? My goal is to bring him up to part in the next 2 years.
villi

Postby KathyWeitz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:04 pm

Yes, at their ages and with their experience, you could start them in Maxim.

You could also consider beginning with my recorded tutorial, Aesop & Homer In-A-Month, to give them a good solid start. They would have time to get through Aesop & Homer as well as Maxim in a school year. You can see a description of the course here: http://www.classicalwritingtutorials.co ... AMonth.htm

Let me know if you need more help.

Kathy
Kathy Weitz
kathy@classicalwriting.com
www.classicalwritingtutorials.com
KathyWeitz

Return to IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING CLASSICAL WRITING....