Poetry for Beginners questions

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Poetry. CW - Poetry is a supplementary writing curriculum, which teaches writing through poetry. It is not part of the standard CW series, but it comes highly recommended as a book to go through 12 weeks out of every school year to expose your student to the art of poetry.

Poetry for Beginners questions

Postby matermultorum » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:25 pm

I own Poetry for Beginners c 2003. I tried to use it way back then, but we got bogged down with the Pope poem in Lesson 5 or 6 and then I really had other fish to fry at the time (or rather 3 babies to birth, etc). The littlest one is almost 4 and now I think I can try this again. I have a few questions.

1. I want to use the core book and the models, both of which I have. At a used curriculum booth at a convention, I noticed when I looked at a poetry A workbook that the Pope poem wasn't used. I thought I could download the newer poems from lulu, but when I got home and looked at the TOC of the poems it looked like the Pope poem was there and not the ones I saw in the workbook. Or maybe I wasn’t looking closely. Can you clear this up for me? Is there a download or at least a list of the poems used in the workbooks if they are different than the ones in the book?

2. I thought I remembered that this could be used with Aesop users which I thought was 2nd and up, but then the website said 5th and up. What is your experience using this with younger than 5th? I may just try it anyway, but thought I would get tips and thoughts about using it with the younger ones. I’m going to do this this summer with with my current 8th, 6th, 4th, 2nd children and other hangers on.

Thank you,
Kendall
matermultorum

Re: Poetry for Beginners questions

Postby admin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:58 am

Kendra,

You can find a list of the poems used in the workbooks by checking the previews of our Poetry Student Workbooks. It appears that they may not display correctly in Firefox (no navigation tools showed up just now), but Google Chrome works. The poems used are in the TOC. The workbook author used the poems in the models book as a starting point, but did change a few. For Student Workbook A, we use Birthdays, Ben Franklin, The Coming of Spring, The Fox and the Bunch of Grapes, The Prologue to the Canterbury Tales, The Knight, The Wolf and the Lion, The Star, Godfrey Gordon Gustavus Gore, The Eagle, Ode to the West Wind, and Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night.

Our original recommendation was to use the Poetry books along with Aesop, but we've scaled that back a bit and now suggest using it during the Homer years. All children are different, though, and all ages can benefit from being exposed to poetry. If you think your 2nd and 4th grader are ready for it, by all means dive in!

Carolyn
admin
Site Admin

Re: Poetry for Beginners questions

Postby matermultorum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:25 am

Thanks Carolyn!

Thanks for the poem list. I should have thought to look at the TOC in the preview. We will try this and see how it goes.

Kendall
matermultorum

Return to Poetry for Beginners, Intermediate, and Advanced