Putting Plutarch in the schedule

This is book VI in our series, our 10th grade book, which teaches ceremonial writing: the writing of speeches and letters and descriptive essays.

Putting Plutarch in the schedule

Postby Kathie in VA » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 am

1 -The lower level CW books include grammar and expects grammar to be taught alongside.. Herodotus includes logic & rhetoric and expects logic to be taught alongside. Does Plutarch expect a seprate study of something alongside also?

2 -Would Plutarch be too much in addition to another literature program?
Kathie in VA

Re: Putting Plutarch in the schedule

Postby admin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:06 am

Thank you for your questions. They are particularly pertinent as we are putting the last polish on Plutarch and it should be out really soon.

No, you do not need an additional book to study Plutarch. No additional grammar, logic, or rhetoric. Plutarch stands alone.

Is it too much to have a literature study in addition to Plutarch. Well, it depends on how you decide to study Plutarch. We recommend that you read a novel alongside each chapter of Plutarch, but that is optional. You can complete the exercises and essays in Plutarch without those optional readings if you are doing your own literature program on the side.

The way we set it up is basically that we pull models from the literature we recommend that you read along with Plutarch, but it is possible to complete Plutarch without reading the entire novel of, say, Pride and Prejudice, by just reading and studying the excerpt form Pride and Prejudice.

Hope this helps,

Lene Jaqua
admin
Site Admin

Postby Kathie in VA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:37 am

FYI

I just noticed that the full page scope and sequence for all CW books states that Traditional Logic II is to be studied concurrently with Plutarch. I gather this is no longer the case? Would you still suggest doing TL 2 and if so when?

Thanks
Kathie in VA

Postby Kathie in VA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:55 am

I can't seem to edit my last post...
I was just wondering if you suggest going through the Material Logic course (or Socratic Logic book) also? and if so when?

Thanks
Kathie in VA

Postby admin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:29 am

I recommend going through Traditional Logic (or equivalent) during 8th or 9th grade.

Socratic logic?? Well, not necessarily. It is impossible to do everything on every front. I think traditional logic in some form is essential, Socratic logic can be obtained just by reading the classics, like Plato's dialogues with your students. You do not need another modern textbook to explain Socratic logic when you can just read the originals.

Does that help?

Lene
admin
Site Admin

Return to Book VI: Plutarch--Praise, Blame, Comparison